Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Prop 8

I have always though of myself as a pretty in depth person. I do not have a problem explaining how I feel, what I think or "looking outside the box". I am pretty open minded (so I think). I had a conversation with several people lately about proposition eight. I know I feel different then a lot of people about this (don't you love difference in opinions). I never really thought that I would have to explain this to my 7 year old. Jaden has a interest in the news and he loves to tell EVERYONE what he hears from the news. Maybe he will be a newscaster one day, who knows. So he comes to me yesterday and asks me about how I feel on proposition eight and what exactly it was. Now those of you who know me, know I do not vote ( I know, I know), but I happen to know this proposition from a conversation at the farmer's market (Katie go ahead and laugh).
So this is how the conversation went
me "Jaden, you know how usually in marriage, you have one women and one man"
him "yeah"
Me"well some men want to marry other men and some women want to marry women, and that's is called being gay"
Him-"that's nasty"
Me- "Do you think that's ok?"
Him-"No mom"
Me-"well I think that as long as you love someone it shouldn't matter what gender they are"
Him-"so, you think its ok mom?"
Me-"Yes I do. But a lot of people don't feel this way and that's ok if you don't"
Him-"well I do if you do"
Me-"You don't have to think something just because I do. Me and my mom have different opinions on a lot of things"
Him-"ok then fine I don't, what about proposition 10."

hahahahahhahahahahaaha That kid is way to much sometimes. He is so curious about the world. I never thought at 7, I would have the gay talk. I know whats coming soon and I am not ready for that.
Oh and I think his dad would kill me if he knew I told him I thought it was ok. SHHHHHH

1 comment:

Brandi M Walsh said...

Good for you Sheree! I think you handled it very well.